What measures your self-worth? Our culture fixates on finding self-worth in places that ultimately don’t satisfy. Too many people crash and burn because they invest in things they thought would make them happy but didn’t.
I’m here to point to a different source of happiness and success. When you tap into the life and love of God you find a strength that doesn’t come and go on a whim.
Henri Nouwen on Self-Worth
In “Show Me the Way”, Henri Nouwen addresses self-worth saying…
When we start being too impressed by the results of our work, we slowly come to the erroneous conviction that life is one large scoreboard where someone is listing the points to measure our worth. And before we are fully aware of it, we have sold our soul to the many grade-givers…
- We are intelligent because someone gives us a high-grade.
- We are helpful because someone says thanks.
- We are likable because someone likes us.
- And we are important because someone considers us indispensable.
In short, we are worthwhile because we have successes. page 67
If my self-worth depends on my success then I’m in trouble. It’s a double-edged sword. If I have no success then I have no self-worth. If self-worth is what I need then I am driven to succeed no matter what the cost. How many people fall into one of these two camps? I’m afraid it’s astronomical and the weight is crushing.
At some point we have to wise up and stop playing the game. We have to realize that self-worth is not a game won by scoring points. Self-worth is a gift given by a loving God.
I’d like to give you permission to walk off the field right now. Shut off the scoreboard and take the trophy. It’s yours without ever playing the game!
Question: What scoreboard are you using to measure your worth? What has to happen before you can feel good about your life? Leave your comment below and “share the knowledge”. Thanks.
Get the free e-book, “Forgiven…once and for all” when you subscribe to this blog.
- Henri J. M. Nouwen: Prayer is “listening to the voice that calls us “my Beloved.” (lifeondoverbeach.wordpress.com)
- Henri Nouwen (trishborgdorff.wordpress.com)
- Learn more about self-worth in the book Healing the Hurts of Your Past